The Navigating Cancer development team has been hard at work and just released some changes to the site based on feedback from our members, including an updated member home page navigation and a new feature that allows you to save resources and other favorite content and create your own personal library.
How These Updates Benefit You
We have over 1,000 experiences, discussions and resources that have been shared by our community, and we heard from members that they wanted a simpler way to find this content. In response, we’ve added a feature that allows members to “like” content you come across, which will save that content to your profile and build your own personal library.
The updates will allow you to more easily discover, view and save your favorite content. Now you can build a personal collection of relevant and helpful information that’s specific to your journey, and share helpful resources you’ve found with the Navigating Cancer community.
For example, when you come across a recommended resource that you find helpful, you can “like” it which will add it to your library so you can easily find it again.
We invite you to browse different sections of the site to find shared experiences, discussions and recommended resources that you “like” and start building your own personal library.
Website Updates Overview
Below is a detailed overview of the updates, which we’re really excited about.
Simplified Home Page Navigation Makes it Easier to Discover Relevant Info
We’ve made a few changes to the main navigation located on the left hand side of the member home page. By combining links from some sections and moving others around, we’ve simplified the navigation so all the links are in view at all times while you navigate the site. This will make it easier for you to move from one area to another and find content that is relevant to you. Click here for a detailed overview and screen shots of these changes.
Bookmark Favorite Content and Build Your Own Personal Library with “Likes”
- Previously you could “rate” content using a 5 star rating system. We’ve replaced ratings with “likes”, similar to Facebook. Once you like an experience, discussion or resource it will be added to your favorite experiences, discussions or library so you can easily find it again. Think of it as a way to bookmark your favorite Navigating Cancer pages and content. (more about the library below)
- If you had previously rated an experience, discussion or resource as 3 stars or higher, you now “like” it and it’s been added to your favorite experiences, discussions or library in your profile.
- Everyone can see how many times a page has been “liked”, but not the individuals who have “liked” it.
- When you like a page, a note is added to your activity feed for other people to see.
New Library Feature Allows You to Save Your Favorite Resources for Easy Access
- Every member now has a personal library, which can be viewed by other members.
- The library link can be found at the bottom of the green navigation box on the left side of your home page.
- If you had previously uploaded a document, or posted a recommended resource, it is now located in your library. Any time you “like” a resource or document, it will be added to your library.
- To remove content from your library simply “unlike” it and it will be taken out.
- You can browse other libraries specific to your journey, such as resources related to a cancer type or groups that you belong to, or the libraries of other members.
Cancer Resource Pages New Design, Improved Navigation Makes it Easier to Find Info Your Looking For
- Click “Explore [cancer type]” under the green navigation bar on your profile home page to get facts about your cancer type including treatment and care info, frequently used treatment regimens and specific chemotherapy drugs and their side effects.
- These pages have been redesigned so you can more easily find facts and info about each cancer type.
New Discussions Section Let’s You Save, View and Discover Relevant Discussions
- The new Discussions page shows the discussions you’ve participated in, any that you’ve liked. It also shows recent discussions from the groups you belong to, and allows you to browse or start a discussion in the groups you belong to.
New Shared Experiences Section Let’s You Save, View and Discover Shared Experiences
- The Shared Experiences section lists the experiences you’ve shared, and now also includes a link to your favorite shared experiences that you’ve “liked”. In addition, this section now shows you recent share experiences, and let’s you browse other shared experiences by topic and from the groups you belong to.
- Anytime you “like” a shared experience or discussion, it will be added to those respective pages on your profile so you can easily find them again.
- To remove content from your favorite shared experiences or discussions simply “unlike” it and it will be taken out.
We hope you’ll find these changes to be an improvement and allow you to more easily discover new resources and connect to other members of the Navigating Cancer community.
– the Navigating Cancer team